Making music makes you smarter!
Every child at St James’ gets the opportunity to sing, listen to music, experience a range of percussion instruments and benefit from four years of instrumental tuition. In the Early Years and KS1 our children have a wide range of experience of tuned and untuned percussion. We start on cornets in Year 3 and then children are encouraged to take up other brass instruments as they progress and grow! All instrument hire and tuition is, currently, paid for by school.
We want our children to develop a love of music and talents as musicians. Research shows that making music increases self confidence, encourages cooperation and creativity and leads to a sense of achievement… but most importantly it is fun!
- Our children will perform, listen to, review and evaluate music
- They will experience a range of genres, styles and traditions
- They will be introduced to a wide range of composers and musicians
- Our children will learn to sing and to use their voices as instruments
- They will have opportunities to compose music and make music with others
- They will have the opportunity to learn a brass instrument
- They will be introduced to music technology
- Our children will explore and understand how music is made, produced and communicated
- They will have an understanding of pitch, duration, tempo, timbre and texture
- They will be able to follow musical notation
- We work very closely with Tameside Music Service and employ one of their brass tutors, Mr Conway, for one day each week
- Through TMS we have built links with the Greater Manchester Music Hub
- We are very proud to have been instrumental in founding Hattersley Brass with TMS in 2013 and we continue to host the band on Wednesday evenings
- Each year we prepare for and participate in the Young Voices Choir event at the Manchester Arena
- We also take our brass instruments to the Bridgewater Hall for the annual Come and Play with the Halle event
- We have also been to hear the Manchester Camerata and they have been into school to work with us
Tameside Music Service Outstanding Contribution to Music Education 2014/2015
Sylvia Swiffin Award for Music Education 2018/2019
Music Mark 2019/2020